Sunday 18 July 2010

Tubes

Once again, it's been a while since my last post, but this time I've got a great excuse. My little compact digital camera has died. So I'll write about something that I photographed a while ago. People often ask what I made this bike from. With the paint on it looked like I might have just cut a few old bikes up and stuck them together. The idea with this bike was to make something tough for polo and something that used cheap tubes (in case it turned out I wasn't very good at brazing and making bikes).

You might notice that the two photos don't actually match. The original design had the same diameter top and downtube which would look a bit odd. When it came time to mitre the frame, I made a last minute change to drop the BB a lot more than first planned. I had also just collected some nice old mountain-bike frames from the rubbish pile at Ceres. So that's when the Mongoose downtube showed up. It's made from "custom drawn" Tange tubing at 34.9 x 0.9, possibly butted. Other variations from the original photo are the chainstays are now Columbus Zona (with MTB S-bend) instead of Thron after I mashed a chainstay when trying to custom S-bend it. The seatstays are the same bits of steel, but are in fact from Dedaccai, not Columbus. I'm using the Pacenti crown to make a new fork for my touring bike now. I'll be using a Long Shen LC41 crown, as used on a Surly Cross Check. The fork blades are Thron

So... complete tubeset is: Plaingauge CroMo, Custom externally butted headtube from plaingauge stock, Columbus Thron, Columbus Zona, Recycled Tange "Custom Drawn", Dedaccai

In other news, I've completed a fork jig enough to make the fork for my polo bike! Not long to go now.

No comments:

Post a Comment